Thursday, September 29, 2011

Looking for a Point and Shoot

I took this Baja Mexicana Cantina photo with the Lumix--9-21.
Took this photo with my friend's Lumix.  9-21-11, 12:15 pm, Digital Alley, Greenbelt 3.
I bought my Canon Ixus 100 IS on January 2, 2010 for the Maven Secrets photoblogging class. I consulted Anton on which one to get.  He suggested the Ixus line.  It was my first digital camera.  Before the Ixus, I used my 1-megapixel Acer or my blurrier 2-megapixel Nokia.

I noticed that the I've been charging the Ixus after a day of use versus maybe a week.  A new battery costs less than P 3,000 at Ambassador in V-Mall but my friend said that Meg Koh said that cameras die after two years.

My friend had bought her Casio from Meg; it lasted about five years.  She was so happy with her Casio that she got a Panasonic DMC-FH25K 16.1MP Digital Camera with 8x Wide Angle Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7 inch LCD also from Meg.


My friend found out online that the video does not zoom, which disappointed her a bit as her Casio could video zoom.  I guess this is important if the video subject is far--or the seat is far from the highlight of the evening.


She got the Lumix, anyway, which, did not make the PCWorld list.  At less than P 12,000, the Lumix seemed to be the best deal of all the cameras that
I 'm considering.


Karen de Veyra, Mawi Taruc and Nitz at Chartis Salcedo. Ixus. 9-19-10.
I also considered the Canon Powershot S95, which made the list of the Top 10 Compact Point-and-Shoot Cameras, after Catherine 'Kat' Gregorio took a photo with it and I took a similar photo with my Ixus.  The yellows were brighter in her photo.


She said that she got the camera in Singapore, at about P 7,000 less than the P 27,000 price here.


I retested both our cameras again.  I asked her to take the same photo using both our cameras.  Nitz's blouse was pinker in her viewer, but when I downloaded both to my Acer, I could not tell them apart.


Because of a Buyanihan promo, I also considered the Canon 310, which seemed bigger than the Ixus.  I saw online that, like the S95, it has a fish eye lens feature, which Jehzlau's Lumix had the bloggers drooling over at the Carnation Food Tour last November 2009.  It is not in the Top 10 list.


Hippie Day at Chatham House.  Taken with S95.
But without seeing a much greater benefit from these two other cameras, I am leaning towards the Lumix.  What really impressed me was when I took a photo of a window at Digital Alley Greenbelt 3 using both the Ixus and the Lumix.


The Ixus photo was dark around the window and the tree outside was not clear.  The Lumix was green around the window and the tree outside was clear.


This more than makes up for the brighter ceiling color of the Ixus photo than the Lumix's.


I could use more light indoors using Auto focus, and without using a flash.


Some of my Cafe at K (Hotel Kimberly Tagaytay) photos were madilim.


I'm not sure if the S95 would benefit me, as I might be too lazy to learn manual focus, although the fish eye lens feature is again tempting.


Ixus shows beiges and yellows.
Know how, at blogger events, there is a group picture taken by the waiter, with different cameras?  I'd like to compare these group photos.  It's easier for me to understand than reading reviews.


There's another camera pala that I'd like to consider.  My friend DK took photos at Bykes and his photos came out well.  I could only produce passable photos by standing on the dance floor.


When I asked him how much it cost, he didn't answer.  Must have cost a bundle!


I also like the Sony Cybershot we used at Boracay last August 2010.


It was so old that the battery hatch wouldn't close.  But it took great pictures, thanks to Butterfly who taught me to stay awhile after taking a shot.


It was also steadier than the Ixus, as it was bigger.  The Lumix is also steadier than the Ixus.  I also don't like the way it looks.  I prefer the Ixus.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Books I've Read

  • Wuthering Heights
  • Wild Swans
  • Who Moved My Cheese?
  • Wheels
  • Watership Down
  • Valley of the Dolls
  • Twin Towers
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Times to Remember
  • Through the Looking Glass
  • The World is Flat
  • The World According to Garp
  • The Terminal Man
  • The Sky is Falling
  • The Return of the King
  • The Promise
  • The Pretenders
  • The Powers That Be
  • The Path
  • The Painted Bird
  • The Naked Face
  • The Little Prince
  • The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
  • The Kobayashi Maru of Love
  • The Kitchen God's Wife
  • The Joy Luck Club
  • The Hundred Secret Senses
  • The Hobbit
  • The Height of Your Life
  • The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole
  • The Greatest Miracle in the World
  • The Gift of Acabar
  • The Firm
  • The Deep
  • The Client
  • The Chamber (March 2011)
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • The Bible Code
  • Survival of the Prettiest: The Science of Beauty
  • Spring Moon
  • Sing Along with MAD
  • Simplify Your Life
  • Shopaholic
  • Shogun
  • Sense and Sensibility
  • Pride and Prejudice (March 30, 2011)
  • Pinoy Pop Culture
  • One Really Valuable Pearl
  • On Wings of Eagles
  • Oliver's Story
  • Nostalgia in the Kitchen (May 6, 2011)
  • My Name is Asher Lev
  • Mistral's Daughter
  • Mga Kwentong Pagkain Atbp: Ating Sariling Ani: Isda at Iba Pa: Mula sa Kusina ni Mama Sita (February or March 2011)
  • Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus
  • Mars and Venus on a Date
  • Manwatching
  • Macbeth
  • Love Story
  • Like Water for Chocolate
  • Life Love Lust: Straightforward Answers to Provocative Questions
  • Ladies' Lunch & Other Ways to Wholeness
  • Kitchen Confidential
  • Kill as Few Patients as Possible: and 56 Other Essays on How to Be the World' Best Doctor
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
  • Jaws
  • In Search of Excellence
  • If Tomorrow Comes
  • How to Turn Thoughts into Things
  • How the Other Half Dies
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  • Great Expectations
  • Friends 'til the End: The Official Celebration of All Ten Years
  • Franny and Zooey
  • First, Break All the Rules
  • Firefox
  • Fellowship of the Ring
  • Fallen Leaves
  • Doctors
  • Coma
  • Clients First!: Building Insurance Sales Through Service Excellence (May 2011)
  • Chicken Soup for the Surviving Soul: 101 Healing Stories for Those Who Survived Cancer
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul
  • Cheaper by the Dozen
  • Captains and the Kings
  • Bulfinch's Mythology
  • Bloodline
  • Around the World in Eighty Days
  • Animal Farm
  • All Things Bright and Beautiful
  • All Creatures Great and Small
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
  • A Question of Heroes
  • 700 Sundays
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
  • 1984
  • 100 Must-Read Crime Novels
  • 'Tis

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts