Monday, June 11, 2012

Filoil Championships on June 12

Nambatac of Letran gets a free throw in their game against Xavier.
The NCAA and the UAAP champions battle for third place at the 2012 Filoil Flying V Preseason Hanes Cup tomorrow. 2010-2011 NCAA champion San Beda Red Lions and the 2008-2011 UAAP four-peat champion Ateneo Blue Eagles will play at 11:30 am on June 12, 2012.

The championship game between the NU Bulldogs and the La Salle Green Archers starts at 4 pm.

The Juniors Division has a similar line-up.  

It's the Xavier Golden Stallions versus the NU Bullpups at 9:30 am and the San Beda Red Cubs and the Letran Squires at 2:00 pm.

Letran 87, Xavier 82, at 3:22 pm.
Thanks to Mike 'Mic' Abasolo of inboundpass.com for the media pass and the company and to Rebound Magazine photographer Dr. Gerard 'Raddy' Mabasa for the ride and the guidance.

Raddy and I arrived at the Arena between 2:15 and 2:30 pm.  He said that he would normally park in Pinaglabanan at that time, but that there was a low turnout on account of the long holiday. 

He pointed out that the parking building was full.  We parked in the grassy area inside the compound.

Is that Bobby  Ray Parks (14) with the ball?
I brought some chichirya that my dad brought home from China.  Raddy warned me that bringing of food is not allowed, as there are concessionaires.  

But since I had a Media Pass, my bag was not inspected.  I had left my stash in Raddy's car on his advice.

 It was my first time to watch a collegiate basketball game and to go to my neighbor The Arena.

Raddy wonders why I would go to a bonfire but not Araneta Coliseum.  I told him that I watch the games at home on TV.  Wearing my blue shirt.

Being my age, Raddy warned me about the noise which I knew about because Mic said that he couldn't hear me on the phone.  

Among the starters were Slaughter (20), Salva (8), Tiongson (5).
Raddy asked me after it was over if I found it noisy.  I told him that I had attended an Appetite Restaurant Festival at Eastwood where a drum act was well-received.  I didn't enjoy it as much as the drumming of the school teams, even his school Xavier's, which Raddy did not notice.  The San Beda Red Lions' starting drummer gets the Bigay na Bigay award from me, as he even put his foot on his ledge for added power.

Raddy also asked me why I wasn't wearing blue.  I told him that my skorts were light blue.  Time to get a blue shirt.  I wish that Blue Eagles shirts are sold in malls or even at the Arena.  Aside from the expensive Adidas shirts.

Mic pointed out the best Blue Eagles cheer to me.  What was it?
I had suggested this to the Loyola Grand Villas library when I accompanied my friend Joy Uy but was referred to the gift shop.

Anyway, I hope to attend the championships on June 12 as I enjoyed myself last Saturday.

Two people held up banners each time the Bulldogs scored a basket.
Surprisingly, the Xavier-Letran game was interesting to watch as it was a close game and the Eagles-Bulldogs game was a yawn.  La Salle led San Beda all throughout until 38 all near the end of the game.  Wow!  That woke me up!  Was it in the third quarter when I told Mic that it looks like it's going to be San Beda versus Ateneo tomorrow?

9-year-old Joshua, who was yawning earlier, also stood up and bit his nails.  Literally.  When, after the tie and San Beda was down by four points and it was clear that La Salle was winning the game, he cupped his head in his hands.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Books I've Read

  • Wuthering Heights
  • Wild Swans
  • Who Moved My Cheese?
  • Wheels
  • Watership Down
  • Valley of the Dolls
  • Twin Towers
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Times to Remember
  • Through the Looking Glass
  • The World is Flat
  • The World According to Garp
  • The Terminal Man
  • The Sky is Falling
  • The Return of the King
  • The Promise
  • The Pretenders
  • The Powers That Be
  • The Path
  • The Painted Bird
  • The Naked Face
  • The Little Prince
  • The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
  • The Kobayashi Maru of Love
  • The Kitchen God's Wife
  • The Joy Luck Club
  • The Hundred Secret Senses
  • The Hobbit
  • The Height of Your Life
  • The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole
  • The Greatest Miracle in the World
  • The Gift of Acabar
  • The Firm
  • The Deep
  • The Client
  • The Chamber (March 2011)
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • The Bible Code
  • Survival of the Prettiest: The Science of Beauty
  • Spring Moon
  • Sing Along with MAD
  • Simplify Your Life
  • Shopaholic
  • Shogun
  • Sense and Sensibility
  • Pride and Prejudice (March 30, 2011)
  • Pinoy Pop Culture
  • One Really Valuable Pearl
  • On Wings of Eagles
  • Oliver's Story
  • Nostalgia in the Kitchen (May 6, 2011)
  • My Name is Asher Lev
  • Mistral's Daughter
  • Mga Kwentong Pagkain Atbp: Ating Sariling Ani: Isda at Iba Pa: Mula sa Kusina ni Mama Sita (February or March 2011)
  • Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus
  • Mars and Venus on a Date
  • Manwatching
  • Macbeth
  • Love Story
  • Like Water for Chocolate
  • Life Love Lust: Straightforward Answers to Provocative Questions
  • Ladies' Lunch & Other Ways to Wholeness
  • Kitchen Confidential
  • Kill as Few Patients as Possible: and 56 Other Essays on How to Be the World' Best Doctor
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
  • Jaws
  • In Search of Excellence
  • If Tomorrow Comes
  • How to Turn Thoughts into Things
  • How the Other Half Dies
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  • Great Expectations
  • Friends 'til the End: The Official Celebration of All Ten Years
  • Franny and Zooey
  • First, Break All the Rules
  • Firefox
  • Fellowship of the Ring
  • Fallen Leaves
  • Doctors
  • Coma
  • Clients First!: Building Insurance Sales Through Service Excellence (May 2011)
  • Chicken Soup for the Surviving Soul: 101 Healing Stories for Those Who Survived Cancer
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul
  • Cheaper by the Dozen
  • Captains and the Kings
  • Bulfinch's Mythology
  • Bloodline
  • Around the World in Eighty Days
  • Animal Farm
  • All Things Bright and Beautiful
  • All Creatures Great and Small
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
  • A Question of Heroes
  • 700 Sundays
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
  • 1984
  • 100 Must-Read Crime Novels
  • 'Tis

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts