Saturday, November 12, 2011

Unbloggable Blogger Events

In a Pinoy Bloggers post, Jeman Villanueva asked why bloggers would go to blogger events if they don't blog about the events.

I don't blog about all the events that I go to.  I go to blogger events to discover things that would fit my blog.

Sometimes, I end up not finding anything interesting enough to blog, or the most interesting--or urgent--for me to blog is something else, so the event does not make it.

Orchard Road upset my tummy, but then it was just me.
One example is the Orchard Road blogger event.  Although the food was ok, it was not spectacular.  I had had better laksa at Nasi Lemak and Edsa Shangri-La Hotel.

Why did I go to Orchard Road in the first place?  Because I liked the food when I went there a couple of times.  In fact, I suggested it to Dexter Matilla and his friend after another blogger event.

The PR handling the event, Charlie Agatep Associates, which had wanted to hire me a hundred years ago, asked me if I would blog about a National Geographic food show.  I said I would if I like the show.  

The most unbloggable event that I had been to recently was MedChef's.  Since then, I have decided that I will only attend blogger events in the mall.  I had stupidly thought that the restaurant was inside the ABS-CBN resto complex.  Read: parking.

I ended up parking in a no-parking zone with the assurance of a watch-your-car-guy that it was ok to park there.

I have just about the same thoughts as a blogger who commented that Ceres doesn't go with cakes.  I saw some yummy-looking, more ornate cakes downstairs served to other guests, while we bloggers huddled upstairs to eat the more ordinary cakes.  I don't get it.  Why bother inviting bloggers--or anyone--at all if you're going to serve us un-praiseable cakes?  To me, the message is that bloggers are easy to please.  It's ok to give them--us--the so-so stuff.

2 comments:

  1. I somehow agree with you. This is why we haven't been to blogger events recently and have been completely picky. We (my bro and I) felt like most PRs we've dealt with don't genuinely appreciate the work we do for them enough. There are bloggers who are not just after the free stuff - something they need to realize. There are those like you and us who really want to experience or discover new things, meet people, and establish good PR relationships.

    We did blog about those you mentioned because we gave our word. We're just more careful now with what events to go to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment and support, blankPixels. I don't ask for appreciation naman. I appreciate the effort that goes into inviting and having me over, too. Iniisip ko lang, if your purpose is to bring in sales, naggastos ka na rin lang, bat ganun ang blogger event mo? Better not invite bloggers na lang, kase for me sayang lang for everyone, owner, organizer and blogger.

    Hindi ako nagyayabang na eto, blogger ako, media ako, powerful ako, you should treat me like a VIP. Hindi ganun. It's more of, there's a goal, did you accomplish it?

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Books I've Read

  • Wuthering Heights
  • Wild Swans
  • Who Moved My Cheese?
  • Wheels
  • Watership Down
  • Valley of the Dolls
  • Twin Towers
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Times to Remember
  • Through the Looking Glass
  • The World is Flat
  • The World According to Garp
  • The Terminal Man
  • The Sky is Falling
  • The Return of the King
  • The Promise
  • The Pretenders
  • The Powers That Be
  • The Path
  • The Painted Bird
  • The Naked Face
  • The Little Prince
  • The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
  • The Kobayashi Maru of Love
  • The Kitchen God's Wife
  • The Joy Luck Club
  • The Hundred Secret Senses
  • The Hobbit
  • The Height of Your Life
  • The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole
  • The Greatest Miracle in the World
  • The Gift of Acabar
  • The Firm
  • The Deep
  • The Client
  • The Chamber (March 2011)
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • The Bible Code
  • Survival of the Prettiest: The Science of Beauty
  • Spring Moon
  • Sing Along with MAD
  • Simplify Your Life
  • Shopaholic
  • Shogun
  • Sense and Sensibility
  • Pride and Prejudice (March 30, 2011)
  • Pinoy Pop Culture
  • One Really Valuable Pearl
  • On Wings of Eagles
  • Oliver's Story
  • Nostalgia in the Kitchen (May 6, 2011)
  • My Name is Asher Lev
  • Mistral's Daughter
  • Mga Kwentong Pagkain Atbp: Ating Sariling Ani: Isda at Iba Pa: Mula sa Kusina ni Mama Sita (February or March 2011)
  • Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus
  • Mars and Venus on a Date
  • Manwatching
  • Macbeth
  • Love Story
  • Like Water for Chocolate
  • Life Love Lust: Straightforward Answers to Provocative Questions
  • Ladies' Lunch & Other Ways to Wholeness
  • Kitchen Confidential
  • Kill as Few Patients as Possible: and 56 Other Essays on How to Be the World' Best Doctor
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
  • Jaws
  • In Search of Excellence
  • If Tomorrow Comes
  • How to Turn Thoughts into Things
  • How the Other Half Dies
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  • Great Expectations
  • Friends 'til the End: The Official Celebration of All Ten Years
  • Franny and Zooey
  • First, Break All the Rules
  • Firefox
  • Fellowship of the Ring
  • Fallen Leaves
  • Doctors
  • Coma
  • Clients First!: Building Insurance Sales Through Service Excellence (May 2011)
  • Chicken Soup for the Surviving Soul: 101 Healing Stories for Those Who Survived Cancer
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul
  • Cheaper by the Dozen
  • Captains and the Kings
  • Bulfinch's Mythology
  • Bloodline
  • Around the World in Eighty Days
  • Animal Farm
  • All Things Bright and Beautiful
  • All Creatures Great and Small
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
  • A Question of Heroes
  • 700 Sundays
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
  • 1984
  • 100 Must-Read Crime Novels
  • 'Tis

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts