Sunday, July 31, 2011

Looking for a 4-in-1

Philcopy charged P 10,000 for repair that didn't work.
I've been wanting to get a scanner instead of EFY spending on the repair of a xerox machine.  My friends AK and another friend are happy with their Brothers.  I also asked another friend about his multi-purpose printer, and he warned me that the ink cost a lot.

I prefer a scanner to a xerox machine because the scanner records the document, for future copies, and xerox copies tend to be faint.
The Kyocera xerox machine is a hat patunger now.

EFY said that they had a scanner before in the office, but it did not work out.  We compared the costs per copy of a copier versus a scanner.

I asked a friend why she got the DCP-7040 scanner-printer when each copy costs P 1.50 to
P 2.00.  She said that she didn't have space for a xerox machine, and a xerox machine costs about P 100,000, versus around P 8,000 for a scanner.

I didn't think that our volume of maybe 10 pages a day would give us savings with the copier, which has a counter.

The copier often broke down, which meant spending gas to go out and make copies.  Never mind how much each copy cost, the gas, time and effort made me think that the scanner was the better deal.  Not counting the parts that need to be fixed, and the cost of gas of bringing TF from Kalookan to San Juan just to fix it.  And opportunity lost from her not being at the office.

When I told EFY that I saw a Canon Pixma 3-in-1 for P 3,400, he said, why not?
When I pointed out these scanner advantages to EFY, he said that he still preferred a copier because he didn't know how to operate a computer.  At that time, I couldn't find a copier-scanner.  I pointed out to him that a lot more people knew how to operate a computer versus repairing a xerox machine.  Plus I was willing to train K to use the computer.

Finally, EFY had a change of heart.  When I told him that I saw a Canon printer-scanner-copier, he wanted one with a fax function as our fax looks ready for extreme unction.

The Philcopy sticker has the machine ID number.
RSFDS and another friend said that 4-in-1s were not advisable.  Friend said that if one function broke down, you lose a whole machine.  I felt that was ok.  If we've lived this long without a 4-in-1, we can certainly live without it during the repair time.  Besides, we don't have space for a 3-in-1 and another fax machine.  Friend pointed out that the fax ink is expensive.  My solution is to use continuous ink, which Bimbim had installed in her brother's printer.  I followed suit with my Epson T10, at CD Outlet in V-Mall.

Kyocera Mita KM-1500
Of all the 4-in-1 printers that we canvassed in V-Mall today, R suggested that I get the Epson TX300F, which has a document feeder that Bimbim said I should get.  R pointed out that only the TX300F's ink could be converted to continuous

I made a comparative table below, but it looks like the only questions left to ask are: Can it copy without using a computer?  Can it scan legal-sized paper?

Among the best all in one printers in Consumersearch, only the HP 4500 is available in V-MallHP was also the brand that A of Xt Pro had recommended to me.

I was waiting for my T10 to die before buying a scanner, but it's still strong.
R asked me if I will be printing a lot.  I said yes.  I print about ten pages a day, using my Epson Stylus T10, but I foresee twice that volume with the scanner.  And fax pa pala.  And xerox!

EFY thinks that having two printers as convenient for when one needs to be, say, reset.  It took CD Outlet a day to reset my T10, as the software in their computer was not down. 

When I brought AYR to CD Outlet, we learned that printers need to be reset whether you use continuous ink or not.  AYR said that maybe that's what's wrong with the printers in the office.  That's what I also told Bimbim, when she wondered if she made the wrong decision by using continuous ink, as her brother S' printer was not working anymore.
CD Outlet reset my T10 this week for P 300.

My friend warned me that C had done something wrong with AR's 4-in-1, and that it stopped working after that.

I didn't bother asking the Canon store in V-Mall if they had a 4-in-1.  The last time Bimbim and I were there, the salesperson was pouty.  I know Annabelle Paw, so maybe I should tell her.  Besides, I got an Urbanears ear plugs from Digital Walker at a blogger event organized by Carlo Ople.

If anyone has any input on 4-in-1s, do speak up now and forever hold your peace. :)

Brand Model Price long Ink







Cartridge Price Convertible to Continuous Store Pages
Epson TX300F 6500
73N 450 Yes PC Gadgets Technologies









HP J4660 6200
901B 680
Dynamic PC




901C    1,000.00 No



6500

1100
Asia Computer





1350


HP 4500 8800
703 380
Asia Computer 400+





380

200+

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Books I've Read

  • Wuthering Heights
  • Wild Swans
  • Who Moved My Cheese?
  • Wheels
  • Watership Down
  • Valley of the Dolls
  • Twin Towers
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Times to Remember
  • Through the Looking Glass
  • The World is Flat
  • The World According to Garp
  • The Terminal Man
  • The Sky is Falling
  • The Return of the King
  • The Promise
  • The Pretenders
  • The Powers That Be
  • The Path
  • The Painted Bird
  • The Naked Face
  • The Little Prince
  • The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
  • The Kobayashi Maru of Love
  • The Kitchen God's Wife
  • The Joy Luck Club
  • The Hundred Secret Senses
  • The Hobbit
  • The Height of Your Life
  • The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole
  • The Greatest Miracle in the World
  • The Gift of Acabar
  • The Firm
  • The Deep
  • The Client
  • The Chamber (March 2011)
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • The Bible Code
  • Survival of the Prettiest: The Science of Beauty
  • Spring Moon
  • Sing Along with MAD
  • Simplify Your Life
  • Shopaholic
  • Shogun
  • Sense and Sensibility
  • Pride and Prejudice (March 30, 2011)
  • Pinoy Pop Culture
  • One Really Valuable Pearl
  • On Wings of Eagles
  • Oliver's Story
  • Nostalgia in the Kitchen (May 6, 2011)
  • My Name is Asher Lev
  • Mistral's Daughter
  • Mga Kwentong Pagkain Atbp: Ating Sariling Ani: Isda at Iba Pa: Mula sa Kusina ni Mama Sita (February or March 2011)
  • Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus
  • Mars and Venus on a Date
  • Manwatching
  • Macbeth
  • Love Story
  • Like Water for Chocolate
  • Life Love Lust: Straightforward Answers to Provocative Questions
  • Ladies' Lunch & Other Ways to Wholeness
  • Kitchen Confidential
  • Kill as Few Patients as Possible: and 56 Other Essays on How to Be the World' Best Doctor
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
  • Jaws
  • In Search of Excellence
  • If Tomorrow Comes
  • How to Turn Thoughts into Things
  • How the Other Half Dies
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  • Great Expectations
  • Friends 'til the End: The Official Celebration of All Ten Years
  • Franny and Zooey
  • First, Break All the Rules
  • Firefox
  • Fellowship of the Ring
  • Fallen Leaves
  • Doctors
  • Coma
  • Clients First!: Building Insurance Sales Through Service Excellence (May 2011)
  • Chicken Soup for the Surviving Soul: 101 Healing Stories for Those Who Survived Cancer
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul
  • Cheaper by the Dozen
  • Captains and the Kings
  • Bulfinch's Mythology
  • Bloodline
  • Around the World in Eighty Days
  • Animal Farm
  • All Things Bright and Beautiful
  • All Creatures Great and Small
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
  • A Question of Heroes
  • 700 Sundays
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
  • 1984
  • 100 Must-Read Crime Novels
  • 'Tis

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts